Course Description - Earth and Space Science
In Earth and Space Science, students conduct laboratory and field investigations, use scientific methods during investigations, and make informed decisions using critical thinking and scientific problem solving. Students study a variety of topics that include Earth and its place is the universe, fossils records, plate tectonics, weather systems, oceans, systems, and energy sources. Students who successfully complete Earth and Space Science will develop an understanding of Earth’s system in space and time. Class structure will be designed to engage students, and will include class discussion, student-driven content, problem-solving, hands-on activities, student-centered projects, and cooperative learning. Earth and Space Science is a Senior Level class, and will be conducted as such. We will practice good time management, personal responsibility, and increase our technology skills in preparation for higher education, the military, or the entry in the workforce.
Course Description - IPC
In IPC (Integrated Chemistry and Physics), students conduct field and laboratory investigations using scientific methods, and make informed decisions using critical thinking and problem solving. Students study a variety of topics that include: nature of science; safe laboratory practices; structures and properties of matter; classification of matter; changes in matter and energy; motion, forces, and energy; and the effects of waves in everyday life. Students will investigate how science is an integral part of our daily lives. Class structure will be designed to engage students, and will include class discussion, problem-solving, hands-on activities, journaling, and labs.
J I will drop one daily grade or quiz each six weeks with no more than 1 tardy and no discipline problems.
All assignments and tests MUST have the following heading in the upper right-hand corner:
First and Last Name
Class and Section
Title (Including page number and problems)
NO HEADING=NO GRADE. DO NOT TEST ME ON THIS
Missed Assignments/Late Work
Life happens to us all! If you are having difficulties, please see me before class or during my conference period so that we can work together to find a solution. I am on your side, and I want you to be successful. If you are behind, lost, confused, frustrated….then your brain will shut down! Please ASK for help. I cannot help if I do not know you need it. J
1. Please respect instructor, classmates, and class materials. Disrespect and rudeness will be considered a disciplinary problem.
2. Bring all materials to class ready to go, including pencils, completed homework, and prepared lab reports.
3. Cell phone/personal devices are strictly prohibited during class time without prior permission. In addition to FISD consequences, students who violate class useage rules may be subject to further disciplinary actions.
4. Please be in your own seat on time and remain there unless instructed otherwise. If you are not seated, you may be counted tardy.
5. Keep the areas around your station clean and free from clutter. You may be penalized during lab if the walkways are obstructed. Do not place trash or books in lab stations.
6. Always take responsibility for your actions. It is better to “own up” to a mistake than to make matters worse by lying, arguing, or denying it. J
7. All Fairfield ISD Rules & Regulations will also be enforced, including the dress code.
I will always be fair, but problems will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Consequences may include:
If you are asked to step outside the room, please wait quietly by the door. If you are sent to the office, please go there and wait.
Any ongoing problems, even minor ones, will result in a parent-teacher conference.